Wednesday, April 22, 2015

EstrellaBurgos Upsets Cilic In Barcelona


World No. 53 Victor Estrella Burgos upset fourth seed Marin Cilic on Wednesday in the second round of the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell, ousting the Croat 6-4, 6-4 at the Real Club de Tenis Barcelona.

The 34 year old from the Dominican Republic scored the upset in 80 minutes, converting four of his nine break points. It is his first win over a Top 10 player in the Emirates ATP Rankings.
Estrella Burgos came into his Barcelona debut having won just one match in his past five tournaments and goes on to face either 14th seed Martin Klizan or Juan Monaco for a quarter-final berth. Earlier this year, the right-hander won his first ATP World Tour title on clay in Quito (d. Lopez).
The 26-year-old Cilic is playing just his third tournament of the season after being sidelined with a shoulder injury. Last week, he beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga en route to the Monte-carlo Rolex Masters quarter-finals (l. to Djokovic).
"The conditions didn't suit me as much today," said Cilic. "It was pretty heavy and very tough to put the ball away. There were not too many winners. It went much more in Victor's favour. Overall, I was not too happy with the way I played today. I made a lot of unforced errors. I feel I still need several matches to get my form to a good stage. Obviously, last week was very good, but I can expect some ups and downs in the first part of the season.
"I demand from myself to play better and days like this shouldn't happen too often, where my game is not at the level where I want it to be. I feel more angry with myself, rather than disappointed. I will work hard in the next few days to get ready for Madrid."
Santiago Giraldo set a third-round clash with top seed Kei Nishikori after finishing strongly to beat Joao Sousa 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 in one hour and 39 minutes. It will be a re-match of last year’s final, which Nishikori won in straight sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment