Friday, April 17, 2015

Djokovic Sets Monte-Carlo QF Clash Vs Cilic

Top seed Novak Djokovic improved to a 14-match win streak on Thursday, beating Andreas Haider-Maurer 6-4, 6-0 in the third round of the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters.

“I've played quite a lot of matches this year, so I don't think I'm missing the competitive rhythm on the court; I actually feel confident,” said Djokovic. “I've played and won a lot of matches this year, fortunately.
“I have Marin Cilic [next], who is a Grand Slam winner, who is playing the tennis of his life… I look forward to that challenge. Obviously now it's going to get tougher.”
Djokovic is bidding to win the title at this ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament for the second time, following victory in 2013, when he defeated Rafael Nadal in the final; he also finished runner-up in 2009 and 2012 (l. to Nadal).
The Serb, who received the Laureus Sportsman of the Year Award on Wednesday, arrived in Monte-Carlo on the back of completing the March Masters sweep, with titles in Indian Wells (d. Federer) and Miami (d. Murray). The Belgrade native has lost just two matches this season (26-2 record), also winning his eighth Grand Slam championship at the start of the year at the Australian Open (d. Murray).

Also Eight-time champion Rafael Nadal reached the quarter-finals of the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters after prevailing over No. 15 seed John Isner 7-6(6), 4-6, 6-3 on Thursday.
The third seed saved two set points to clinch the first set in the tie-break. The American stormed back in the second set, recovering from 0-40 on his serve to hold and then break to go up 5-4 before eventually forcing a third set.
As the World No. 1 doubles team, Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, looked on, Nadal broke Isner in the third and quickly consolidated at love for a 4-1 lead. The Spaniard went on to clinch the victory in two hours and 20 minutes.
“My mentality in the third [set was] very positive,” said Nadal. “The game, the level of tennis, [it] improved a little bit in the third than in the previous two sets. That's very important for me. [I’m] very happy to be in quarter-finals. [It’s a] very important result for me.”
[It’s] a challenge for me to find again the positive feelings, the confidence, the feeling that I am strong again. Matches like today, [the] third set today, helps to improve, helps to arrive to that place that I want to be.”
Watch

No comments:

Post a Comment